The Globemed at Washington University Supports nutrition project to improve and promote proper nutrition amongst the children under five years and pregnant women in Bukooma sub county in Luuka district for a healthy and productive community using the CHW model to implement the following activities;
- Referral for prevention and care of malnourished children and pregnant mothers at UDHA Naigobya NGO Health unit.
- Community health workers support exclusive breast feeding for 0-6 month old babies and complementary feeding for children aged six months and above.
- Mothers are health educated on feeding practices for children community sensitization meetings and during home visits by community health workers every month.
- Support Home gardening at household level (caretakers should have home gardens or backyard gardens). Skills are given at household level and from this then they can decide whether to scale up to commercial level.
- Support household food security skills which affect household food consumption and balanced diet. With help of community model garden at Naigobya technical school.
- Food preparation demonstrations which focus on different foods in the community and how to prepare them and know which nutrients children get.